Tango Lilies are a new type of Asiatic lily bred in Holland using Lilium ‘Latvian Promise’ as a parent. Originating in Latvia this upward facing lily’s heart is densely covered with dark speckles and brush strokes. This dark colouring contrasts with the vibrant colour of the flower tips. All Tango lilies have 80-100cm tall stems and are very easy to grow.
Growing Lilies in the Garden
Modern lilies are really easy to grow as long as their few wants are catered for:
1. Plant the lily bulbs as soon as possible after receiving them as they shouldn’t be allowed to dry out.
2. Lilies grow best in a sunny or lightly shaded spot. In very hot districts we recommend planting lilies in light shade.
3. Soil should be prepared as well as possible. The better the soil the better the results. A well drained, humus rich soil is best.
4. Plant your lily bulbs 15-20cm deep.
5. As lilies in good soil increase both in the number of bulbs and the number of flowers they are best planted into their permanent position in the garden.
6. Give a light watering after planting to settle the bulbs in. Most lilies don’t enjoy dry soils so regular summer watering is recommended.