Modern lilies are really easy to grow as long as their few wants are catered for:
1. Plant the lily bulbs as soon as possible after receiving them as they shouldn’t be allowed to dry out.
2. Lilies grow best in a sunny or lightly shaded spot. In very hot districts we recommend planting lilies in light shade.
3. Soil should be prepared as well as possible. The better the soil the better the results. A well drained, humus rich soil is best.
4. Plant your lily bulbs 15-20cm deep.
5. As lilies in good soil increase both in the number of bulbs and the number of flowers they are best planted into their permanent position in the garden.
6. Give a light watering after planting to settle the bulbs in. Most lilies don’t enjoy dry soils so regular summer watering is recommended.
Orienpet or OT (Oriental x Trumpet) Lilies
OT lilies are also known as Orienpet or Oriental x Trumpet Lilies. They are hybrids between the huge flowered Oriental Lilies and the Christmas Lily, Lilium longiflorum. Both parents are fragrant.
OT Lilies are tough and have great disease tolerance. They have become one of the most popular of all commercial cut flowers. Picked as the first bud starts to unfurl they will last a fortnight in a vase.